Gain Visibility And Insight Into Your Supply Chains Through Operational Analytics Powered By Roambee
October 2nd, 2022
1 hr 3 secs
About this Episode
The global economy is dependent on complex and dynamic networks of supply chains powered by sophisticated logistics. This requires a significant amount of data to track shipments and operational characteristics of materials and goods. Roambee is a platform that collects, integrates, and analyzes all of that information to provide companies with the critical insights that businesses need to stay running, especially in a time of such constant change. In this episode Roambee CEO, Sanjay Sharma, shares the types of questions that companies are asking about their logistics, the technical work that they do to provide ways to answer those questions, and how they approach the challenge of data quality in its many forms.
- Hello and welcome to the Data Engineering Podcast, the show about modern data management
- When you’re ready to build your next pipeline, or want to test out the projects you hear about on the show, you’ll need somewhere to deploy it, so check out our friends at Linode. With their new managed database service you can launch a production ready MySQL, Postgres, or MongoDB cluster in minutes, with automated backups, 40 Gbps connections from your application hosts, and high throughput SSDs. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/linode today and get a $100 credit to launch a database, create a Kubernetes cluster, or take advantage of all of their other services. And don’t forget to thank them for their continued support of this show!
- Atlan is the metadata hub for your data ecosystem. Instead of locking your metadata into a new silo, unleash its transformative potential with Atlan’s active metadata capabilities. Push information about data freshness and quality to your business intelligence, automatically scale up and down your warehouse based on usage patterns, and let the bots answer those questions in Slack so that the humans can focus on delivering real value. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/atlan today to learn more about how Atlan’s active metadata platform is helping pioneering data teams like Postman, Plaid, WeWork & Unilever achieve extraordinary things with metadata and escape the chaos.
- Prefect is the modern Dataflow Automation platform for the modern data stack, empowering data practitioners to build, run and monitor robust pipelines at scale. Guided by the principle that the orchestrator shouldn’t get in your way, Prefect is the only tool of its kind to offer the flexibility to write code as workflows. Prefect specializes in glueing together the disparate pieces of a pipeline, and integrating with modern distributed compute libraries to bring power where you need it, when you need it. Trusted by thousands of organizations and supported by over 20,000 community members, Prefect powers over 100MM business critical tasks a month. For more information on Prefect, visit dataengineeringpodcast.com/prefect.
- Data engineers don’t enjoy writing, maintaining, and modifying ETL pipelines all day, every day. Especially once they realize 90% of all major data sources like Google Analytics, Salesforce, Adwords, Facebook, Spreadsheets, etc., are already available as plug-and-play connectors with reliable, intuitive SaaS solutions. Hevo Data is a highly reliable and intuitive data pipeline platform used by data engineers from 40+ countries to set up and run low-latency ELT pipelines with zero maintenance. Boasting more than 150 out-of-the-box connectors that can be set up in minutes, Hevo also allows you to monitor and control your pipelines. You get: real-time data flow visibility, fail-safe mechanisms, and alerts if anything breaks; preload transformations and auto-schema mapping precisely control how data lands in your destination; models and workflows to transform data for analytics; and reverse-ETL capability to move the transformed data back to your business software to inspire timely action. All of this, plus its transparent pricing and 24*7 live support, makes it consistently voted by users as the Leader in the Data Pipeline category on review platforms like G2. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/hevodata and sign up for a free 14-day trial that also comes with 24×7 support.
- Your host is Tobias Macey and today I’m interviewing Sanjay Sharma about how Roambee is using data to bring visibility into shipping and supply chains.
- How did you get involved in the area of data management?
- Can you describe what Roambee is and the story behind it?
- Who are the personas that are looking to Roambee for insights?
- What are some of the questions that they are asking about the state of their assets?
- Can you describe the types of information sources and the format of the data that you are working with?
- What are the types of SLAs that you are focused on delivering to your customers? (e.g. latency from recorded event to analytics, accuracy, etc.)
- Can you describe how the Roambee platform is implemented?
- How have the evolving landscape of sensor and data technologies influenced the evolution of your service?
- Given your support for customer-created integrations and user-generated inputs on shipment updates, how do you manage data quality and consistency?
- How do you approach customer onboarding, and what is your approach to reducing the time to value?
- What are the most interesting, innovative, or unexpected ways that you have seen the Roambee platform used?
- What are the most interesting, unexpected, or challenging lessons that you have learned while working on Roambee?
- When is Roambee the wrong choice?
- What do you have planned for the future of Roambee?
- Thank you for listening! Don’t forget to check out our other shows. Podcast.__init__ covers the Python language, its community, and the innovative ways it is being used. The Machine Learning Podcast helps you go from idea to production with machine learning.
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the mailing list, and read the show notes.
- If you’ve learned something or tried out a project from the show then tell us about it! Email email@example.com) with your story.
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on Apple Podcasts and tell your friends and co-workers
- From your perspective, what is the biggest gap in the tooling or technology for data management today?
The intro and outro music is from The Hug by The Freak Fandango Orchestra / CC BY-SA
Support Data Engineering Podcast