Generative AI has unlocked a massive opportunity for content creation. There is also an unfulfilled need for experts to be able to share their knowledge and build communities. Illumidesk was built to take advantage of this intersection. In this episode Greg Werner explains how they are using generative AI as an assistive tool for creating educational material, as well as building a data driven experience for learners.
- Hello and welcome to the Data Engineering Podcast, the show about modern data management
- Introducing RudderStack Profiles. RudderStack Profiles takes the SaaS guesswork and SQL grunt work out of building complete customer profiles so you can quickly ship actionable, enriched data to every downstream team. You specify the customer traits, then Profiles runs the joins and computations for you to create complete customer profiles. Get all of the details and try the new product today at dataengineeringpodcast.com/rudderstack
- This episode is brought to you by Datafold – a testing automation platform for data engineers that finds data quality issues before the code and data are deployed to production. Datafold leverages data-diffing to compare production and development environments and column-level lineage to show you the exact impact of every code change on data, metrics, and BI tools, keeping your team productive and stakeholders happy. Datafold integrates with dbt, the modern data stack, and seamlessly plugs in your data CI for team-wide and automated testing. If you are migrating to a modern data stack, Datafold can also help you automate data and code validation to speed up the migration. Learn more about Datafold by visiting dataengineeringpodcast.com/datafold
- You shouldn't have to throw away the database to build with fast-changing data. You should be able to keep the familiarity of SQL and the proven architecture of cloud warehouses, but swap the decades-old batch computation model for an efficient incremental engine to get complex queries that are always up-to-date. With Materialize, you can! It’s the only true SQL streaming database built from the ground up to meet the needs of modern data products. Whether it’s real-time dashboarding and analytics, personalization and segmentation or automation and alerting, Materialize gives you the ability to work with fresh, correct, and scalable results — all in a familiar SQL interface. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/materialize today to get 2 weeks free!
- Your host is Tobias Macey and today I'm interviewing Greg Werner about building IllumiDesk, a data-driven and AI powered online learning platform
- How did you get involved in the area of data management?
- Can you describe what Illumidesk is and the story behind it?
- What are the challenges that educators and content creators face in developing and maintaining digital course materials for their target audiences?
- How are you leaning on data integrations and AI to reduce the initial time investment required to deliver courseware?
- What are the opportunities for collecting and collating learner interactions with the course materials to provide feedback to the instructors?
- What are some of the ways that you are incorporating pedagogical strategies into the measurement and evaluation methods that you use for reports?
- What are the different categories of insights that you need to provide across the different stakeholders/personas who are interacting with the platform and learning content?
- Can you describe how you have architected the Illumidesk platform?
- How have the design and goals shifted since you first began working on it?
- What are the strategies that you have used to allow for evolution and adaptation of the system in order to keep pace with the ecosystem of generative AI capabilities?
- What are the failure modes of the content generation that you need to account for?
- What are the most interesting, innovative, or unexpected ways that you have seen Illumidesk used?
- What are the most interesting, unexpected, or challenging lessons that you have learned while working on Illumidesk?
- When is Illumidesk the wrong choice?
- What do you have planned for the future of Illumidesk?
- From your perspective, what is the biggest gap in the tooling or technology for data management today?
- Thank you for listening! Don't forget to check out our other shows. Podcast.__init__ covers the Python language, its community, and the innovative ways it is being used. The Machine Learning Podcast helps you go from idea to production with machine learning.
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the mailing list, and read the show notes.
- If you've learned something or tried out a project from the show then tell us about it! Email firstname.lastname@example.org) with your story.
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on Apple Podcasts and tell your friends and co-workers
- Generative AI
- Vector Database
- LTI == Learning Tools Interoperability
- Prompt Engineering