If you like the features of Cassandra DB but wish it ran faster with fewer resources then ScyllaDB is the answer you have been looking for. In this episode Eyal Gutkind explains how Scylla was created and how it differentiates itself in the crowded database market.
Do you want to try out some of the tools and applications that you heard about on the Data Engineering Podcast? Do you have some ETL jobs that need somewhere to run? Check out Linode at www.dataengineeringpodcast.com/linode or use the code DATAENGINEERING17 and get a $20 credit (that’s 4 months free!) to try out their fast and reliable Linux virtual servers. They’ve got lightning fast networking and SSD servers with plenty of power and storage to run whatever you want to experiment on.
- Hello and welcome to the Data Engineering Podcast, the show about modern data infrastructure
- Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com to subscribe to the show, sign up for the newsletter, read the show notes, and get in touch.
- You can help support the show by checking out the Patreon page which is linked from the site.
- To help other people find the show you can leave a review on iTunes, or Google Play Music, and tell your friends and co-workers
- Your host is Tobias Macey and today I’m interviewing Eyal Gutkind about ScyllaDB
- How did you get involved in the area of data management?
- What is ScyllaDB and why would someone choose to use it?
- How do you ensure sufficient reliability and accuracy of the database engine?
- The large draw of Scylla is that it is a drop in replacement of Cassandra with faster performance and no requirement to manage th JVM. What are some of the technical and architectural design choices that have enabled you to do that?
- Deployment and tuning
- What challenges are inroduced as a result of needing to maintain API compatibility with a diferent product?
- Do you have visibility or advance knowledge of what new interfaces are being added to the Apache Cassandra project, or are you forced to play a game of keep up?
- Are there any issues with compatibility of plugins for CassandraDB running on Scylla?
- For someone who wants to deploy and tune Scylla, what are the steps involved?
- Is it possible to join a Scylla cluster to an existing Cassandra cluster for live data migration and zero downtime swap?
- What prompted the decision to form a company around the database?
- What are some other uses of Seastar?