The flexibility of software oriented data workflows is useful for fulfilling complex requirements, but for simple and repetitious use cases it adds significant complexity. Coalesce is a platform designed to reduce repetitive work for common workflows by adopting a visual pipeline builder to support your data warehouse transformations. In this episode Satish Jayanthi explains how he is building a framework to allow enterprises to move quickly while maintaining guardrails for data workflows. This allows everyone in the business to participate in data analysis in a sustainable manner.
Datafold helps you deal with data quality in your pull request. It provides automated regression testing throughout your schema and pipelines so you can address quality issues before they affect production. No more shipping and praying, you can now know exactly what will change in your database ahead of time.
Datafold integrates with all major data warehouses as well as frameworks such as Airflow & dbt and seamlessly plugs into CI, so in a few minutes you can get from 0 to automated testing of your analytical code. Visit dataengineeringpodcast.com/datafold today to book a demo with Datafold.
A cohort-based online course where you’ll learn the fundamentals of building sustainable data infrastructures that power data products, business intelligence and machine learning systems. We’re also the world’s first data engineering bootcamp, led by industry experts.
Experience collaboration and pragmatism within the data world, engage in real-life engineering problems and solve them while keeping an eye on sustainability factors across the board.
Expect to get your hands dirty and learn how to solve real challenges through best practices. Join other data enthusiasts with diverse backgrounds to experience the software systems that power the most innovative tech products and digital platforms of tomorrow.
Take part in career coaching sessions, expert AMAs and communication training and you’ll get access to a meaningful network of professionals and organisations in the data ecosystem.
Learn more at dataengineeringpodcast.com/academy
Your data platform needs to be scalable, fault tolerant, and performant, which means that you need the same from your cloud provider. Linode has been powering production systems for over 17 years, and now they’ve launched a fully managed Kubernetes platform. With the combined power of the Kubernetes engine for flexible and scalable deployments, and features like dedicated CPU instances, GPU instances, and object storage you’ve got everything you need to build a bulletproof data pipeline. If you go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/linode today you’ll even get a $100 credit to use on building your own cluster, or object storage, or reliable backups, or… And while you’re there don’t forget to thank them for being a long-time supporter of the Data Engineering Podcast!
Have you ever woken up to a crisis because a number on a dashboard is broken and no one knows why? Or sent out frustrating slack messages trying to find the right data set? Or tried to understand what a column name means?
Our friends at Atlan started out as a data team themselves and faced all this collaboration chaos themselves, and started building Atlan as an internal tool for themselves. Atlan is a collaborative workspace for data-driven teams, like Github for engineering or Figma for design teams. By acting as a virtual hub for data assets ranging from tables and dashboards to SQL snippets & code, Atlan enables teams to create a single source of truth for all their data assets, and collaborate across the modern data stack through deep integrations with tools like Snowflake, Slack, Looker and more.
Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/atlan and sign up for a free trial. If you’re a data engineering podcast listener, you get credits worth $3000 on an annual subscription.
- Hello and welcome to the Data Engineering Podcast, the show about modern data management
- When you’re ready to build your next pipeline, or want to test out the projects you hear about on the show, you’ll need somewhere to deploy it, so check out our friends at Linode. With their managed Kubernetes platform it’s now even easier to deploy and scale your workflows, or try out the latest Helm charts from tools like Pulsar and Pachyderm. With simple pricing, fast networking, object storage, and worldwide data centers, you’ve got everything you need to run a bulletproof data platform. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/linode today and get a $100 credit to try out a Kubernetes cluster of your own. And don’t forget to thank them for their continued support of this show!
- Atlan is a collaborative workspace for data-driven teams, like Github for engineering or Figma for design teams. By acting as a virtual hub for data assets ranging from tables and dashboards to SQL snippets & code, Atlan enables teams to create a single source of truth for all their data assets, and collaborate across the modern data stack through deep integrations with tools like Snowflake, Slack, Looker and more. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/atlan today and sign up for a free trial. If you’re a data engineering podcast listener, you get credits worth $3000 on an annual subscription
- Modern data teams are dealing with a lot of complexity in their data pipelines and analytical code. Monitoring data quality, tracing incidents, and testing changes can be daunting and often takes hours to days or even weeks. By the time errors have made their way into production, it’s often too late and damage is done. Datafold built automated regression testing to help data and analytics engineers deal with data quality in their pull requests. Datafold shows how a change in SQL code affects your data, both on a statistical level and down to individual rows and values before it gets merged to production. No more shipping and praying, you can now know exactly what will change in your database! Datafold integrates with all major data warehouses as well as frameworks such as Airflow & dbt and seamlessly plugs into CI workflows. Visit dataengineeringpodcast.com/datafold today to book a demo with Datafold.
- Are you looking for a structured and battle-tested approach for learning data engineering? Would you like to know how you can build proper data infrastructures that are built to last? Would you like to have a seasoned industry expert guide you and answer all your questions? Join Pipeline Academy, the worlds first data engineering bootcamp. Learn in small groups with likeminded professionals for 9 weeks part-time to level up in your career. The course covers the most relevant and essential data and software engineering topics that enable you to start your journey as a professional data engineer or analytics engineer. Plus we have AMAs with world-class guest speakers every week! The next cohort starts in April 2022. Visit dataengineeringpodcast.com/academy and apply now!
- Your host is Tobias Macey and today I’m interviewing Satish Jayanthi about how organizations can use data architectural patterns to stay competitive in today’s data-rich environment
- How did you get involved in the area of data management?
- Can you describe what you are building at Coalesce and the story behind it?
- What are the core problems that you are focused on solving with Coalesce?
- The platform appears to be fairly opinionated in the workflow. What are the design principles and philosophies that you have embedded into the user experience?
- Can you describe how Coalesce is implemented?
- What are the pitfalls in data architecture patterns that you commonly see organizations fall prey to?
- How do the pre-built transformation templates in Coalesce help to guide users in a more maintainable direction?
- The platform is currently tied to Snowflake as the underlying engine. How much effort will it be to expand your integrations and the scope of Coalesece?
- What are the most interesting, innovative, or unexpected ways that you have seen Coalesce used?
- What are the most interesting, unexpected, or challenging lessons that you have learned while working on Coalesce?
- When is Coalesce the wrong choice?
- What do you have planned for the future of Coalesce?
- From your perspective, what is the biggest gap in the tooling or technology for data management today?
- Thank you for listening! Don’t forget to check out our other show, Podcast.__init__ to learn about the Python language, its community, and the innovative ways it is being used.
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the mailing list, and read the show notes.
- If you’ve learned something or tried out a project from the show then tell us about it! Email firstname.lastname@example.org) with your story.
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on iTunes and tell your friends and co-workers
- Data Warehouse Toolkit
- Type 2 Dimensions
- Star Schema
- Data Vault
- Data Mesh