Data persistence is one of the most challenging aspects of computer systems. In the era of the cloud most developers rely on hosted services to manage their databases, but what if you are a cloud service? In this episode Vignesh Ravichandran explains how his team at Cloudflare provides PostgreSQL as a service to their developers for low latency and high uptime services at global scale. This is an interesting and insightful look at pragmatic engineering for reliability and scale.
- Hello and welcome to the Data Engineering Podcast, the show about modern data management
- Introducing RudderStack Profiles. RudderStack Profiles takes the SaaS guesswork and SQL grunt work out of building complete customer profiles so you can quickly ship actionable, enriched data to every downstream team. You specify the customer traits, then Profiles runs the joins and computations for you to create complete customer profiles. Get all of the details and try the new product today at dataengineeringpodcast.com/rudderstack
- This episode is brought to you by Datafold – a testing automation platform for data engineers that finds data quality issues before the code and data are deployed to production. Datafold leverages data-diffing to compare production and development environments and column-level lineage to show you the exact impact of every code change on data, metrics, and BI tools, keeping your team productive and stakeholders happy. Datafold integrates with dbt, the modern data stack, and seamlessly plugs in your data CI for team-wide and automated testing. If you are migrating to a modern data stack, Datafold can also help you automate data and code validation to speed up the migration. Learn more about Datafold by visiting dataengineeringpodcast.com/datafold
- You shouldn't have to throw away the database to build with fast-changing data. You should be able to keep the familiarity of SQL and the proven architecture of cloud warehouses, but swap the decades-old batch computation model for an efficient incremental engine to get complex queries that are always up-to-date. With Materialize, you can! It’s the only true SQL streaming database built from the ground up to meet the needs of modern data products. Whether it’s real-time dashboarding and analytics, personalization and segmentation or automation and alerting, Materialize gives you the ability to work with fresh, correct, and scalable results — all in a familiar SQL interface. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/materialize today to get 2 weeks free!
- Your host is Tobias Macey and today I'm interviewing Vignesh Ravichandran about building an internal database as a service platform at Cloudflare
- How did you get involved in the area of data management?
- Can you start by describing the different database workloads that you have at Cloudflare?
- What are the different methods that you have used for managing database instances?
- What are the requirements and constraints that you had to account for in designing your current system?
- Why Postgres?
- optimizations for Postgres
- simplification from not supporting multiple engines
- limitations in postgres that make multi-tenancy challenging
- scale of operation (data volume, request rate
- What are the most interesting, innovative, or unexpected ways that you have seen your DBaaS used?
- What are the most interesting, unexpected, or challenging lessons that you have learned while working on your internal database platform?
- When is an internal database as a service the wrong choice?
- What do you have planned for the future of Postgres hosting at Cloudflare?
- From your perspective, what is the biggest gap in the tooling or technology for data management today?
- Thank you for listening! Don't forget to check out our other shows. Podcast.__init__ covers the Python language, its community, and the innovative ways it is being used. The Machine Learning Podcast helps you go from idea to production with machine learning.
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the mailing list, and read the show notes.
- If you've learned something or tried out a project from the show then tell us about it! Email email@example.com) with your story.
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on Apple Podcasts and tell your friends and co-workers
- IP Address Data Type in Postgres
- HAProxy Presentation
- Edge Computing