The binding element of all data work is the metadata graph that is generated by all of the workflows that produce the assets used by teams across the organization. The DataHub project was created as a way to bring order to the scale of LinkedIn’s data needs. It was also designed to be able to work for small scale systems that are just starting to develop in complexity. In order to support the project and make it even easier to use for organizations of every size Shirshanka Das and Swaroop Jagadish founded Acryl Data. In this episode they discuss the recent work that has been done by the community, how their work is building on top of that foundation, and how you can get started with DataHub for your own work to manage data discovery today. They also share their ambitions for the near future of adding data observability and data quality management features.
- Hello and welcome to the Data Engineering Podcast, the show about modern data management
- When you’re ready to build your next pipeline, or want to test out the projects you hear about on the show, you’ll need somewhere to deploy it, so check out our friends at Linode. With their managed Kubernetes platform it’s now even easier to deploy and scale your workflows, or try out the latest Helm charts from tools like Pulsar and Pachyderm. With simple pricing, fast networking, object storage, and worldwide data centers, you’ve got everything you need to run a bulletproof data platform. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/linode today and get a $100 credit to try out a Kubernetes cluster of your own. And don’t forget to thank them for their continued support of this show!
- Are you bored with writing scripts to move data into SaaS tools like Salesforce, Marketo, or Facebook Ads? Hightouch is the easiest way to sync data into the platforms that your business teams rely on. The data you’re looking for is already in your data warehouse and BI tools. Connect your warehouse to Hightouch, paste a SQL query, and use their visual mapper to specify how data should appear in your SaaS systems. No more scripts, just SQL. Supercharge your business teams with customer data using Hightouch for Reverse ETL today. Get started for free at dataengineeringpodcast.com/hightouch.
- Modern Data teams are dealing with a lot of complexity in their data pipelines and analytical code. Monitoring data quality, tracing incidents, and testing changes can be daunting and often takes hours to days. Datafold helps Data teams gain visibility and confidence in the quality of their analytical data through data profiling, column-level lineage and intelligent anomaly detection. Datafold also helps automate regression testing of ETL code with its Data Diff feature that instantly shows how a change in ETL or BI code affects the produced data, both on a statistical level and down to individual rows and values. Datafold integrates with all major data warehouses as well as frameworks such as Airflow & dbt and seamlessly plugs into CI workflows. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/datafold today to start a 30-day trial of Datafold. Once you sign up and create an alert in Datafold for your company data, they will send you a cool water flask.
- Your host is Tobias Macey and today I’m interviewing Shirshanka Das and Swaroop Jagadish about Acryl Data, the company driving the open source metadata project DataHub for powering data discovery, data observability and federated data governance.
- How did you get involved in the area of data management?
- Can you describe what Acryl Data is and the story behind it?
- How has your experience of building and running DataHub at LinkedIn informed your product direction for Acryl?
- What are some lessons that your co-founder Swaroop has contributed from his experience at AirBnB?
- The data catalog/discovery/quality market has become very active over the past year. What is your perspective on the market, and what are the gaps that are not yet being addressed?
- How does the focus of Acryl compare to what the team at Metaphor are building?
- How has the DataHub project changed in the past year with more companies outside of LinkedIn using and contributing to it?
- What are your plans for Data Observability?
- Can you describe the system architecture that you have built at Acryl?
- What are the convenience features that you are building to augment the capabilities and integration process for DataHub?
- What are some typical workflows that data teams build out when working with Acryl?
- What are some examples of automated actions that can be triggered from metadata changes?
- What are the available events that can be used to trigger actions?
- What are some of the challenges that teams are facing when integrating metadata management and analysis into their data workflows?
- What are your thoughts on the potential for the Open Lineage and Open metadata projects?
- How is the governance of DataHub being managed?
- What are the most interesting, innovative, or unexpected ways that you have seen Acryl/DataHub used?
- What are the most interesting, unexpected, or challenging lessons that you have learned while working on Acryl/DataHub?
- When is Acryl the wrong choice?
- What do you have planned for the future of Acryl?
- From your perspective, what is the biggest gap in the tooling or technology for data management today?
- Acryl Data
- Delta Lake
- Apache Gobblin
- Strata Conference Presentation
- Acryl/DataHub Ingestion Framework
- Joe Hellerstein
- DataHub Roadmap
- Data Mesh
- Egeria Open Metadata
Support Data Engineering Podcast