The information about how data is acquired and processed is often as important as the data itself. For this reason metadata management systems are built to track the journey of your business data to aid in analysis, presentation, and compliance. These systems are frequently cumbersome and difficult to maintain, so Octopai was founded to alleviate that burden. In this episode Amnon Drori, CEO and co-founder of Octopai, discusses the business problems he witnessed that led him to starting the company, how their systems are able to provide valuable tools and insights, and the direction that their product will be taking in the future.
- Hello and welcome to the Data Engineering Podcast, the show about modern data management
- When you’re ready to build your next pipeline you’ll need somewhere to deploy it, so check out Linode. With private networking, shared block storage, node balancers, and a 200Gbit network, all controlled by a brand new API you’ve got everything you need to run a bullet-proof data platform. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/linode to get a $20 credit and launch a new server in under a minute.
- For complete visibility into the health of your pipeline, including deployment tracking, and powerful alerting driven by machine-learning, DataDog has got you covered. With their monitoring, metrics, and log collection agent, including extensive integrations and distributed tracing, you’ll have everything you need to find and fix performance bottlenecks in no time. Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com/datadog today to start your free 14 day trial and get a sweet new T-Shirt.
- Go to dataengineeringpodcast.com to subscribe to the show, sign up for the newsletter, read the show notes, and get in touch.
- Your host is Tobias Macey and today I’m interviewing Amnon Drori about OctopAI and the benefits of metadata management
- How did you get involved in the area of data management?
- What is OctopAI and what was your motivation for founding it?
- What are some of the types of information that you classify and collect as metadata?
- Can you talk through the architecture of your platform?
- What are some of the challenges that are typically faced by metadata management systems?
- What is involved in deploying your metadata collection agents?
- Once the metadata has been collected what are some of the ways in which it can be used?
- What mechanisms do you use to ensure that customer data is segregated?
- How do you identify and handle sensitive information during the collection step?
- What are some of the most challenging aspects of your technical and business platforms that you have faced?
- What are some of the plans that you have for OctopAI going forward?
- From your perspective, what is the biggest gap in the tooling or technology for data management today?
- Metadata Management
- Data Integrity
- CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
- Business Intelligence
- ETL (Extract, Transform, Load)
- Data Governance
- SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services)
- GDPR (General Data Privacy Regulation)
- Root Cause Analysis